Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Grand Trunk Western Elsdon depot at night. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. April 1983.

The Grand Trunk Western Elsdon Depot at night. Chicago Illinois. April 1983.

I took this rare night time photo in April of 1983. We are looking west from the southside of West 51st Street near South Lawndale Avenue. This is the Grand Trunk Western Railroad Elsdon station, that was built in 1888. This depot was an employee terminal and yard office in it's final years. The GTW woulod officially close and abandon Elsdon Yard in October of 1983, and the depot would be demolished in November of that year. I took this photo before it was too late.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great place this was. I can't even begin to count the many pleasant hours I spent here watching trains, hanging out with my dad. So many simple, vital places like this, all gone.