Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Grand Trunk Western Railroad Elsdon depot on West 51st Street. ( Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. October 1983.

I took this photograph way back in October of 1983.

Seen here during the final week of operations at the soon to be closed Grand Trunk Western Railroad's Elsdon Yard on West 51st Street in Chicago, is the 1888 built Elsdon passenger station.

By the time I had taken this photograph, this depot had long since served it's last passenger train, and was being utilized for many years as a yard office and crew change terminal.

This depot was located along the south side of West 51st Street about one city block east of South Lawndale Avenue in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood.

This building was demolished one month after I had taken this photograph.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

GOGOSOX60 said...

I remember wandering in their about 1980 asking for employment. I remember the guy telling me they just hired some people recently. Great memory!!

Also do you have any photos of the station at 63rd and Bell, I think it was a B and O passenger service. I remember going their as a kid. Then one day it was boarded up and snuck in side and just junk and paper was scattered every where. Then one day..poof it was bulldozed and gone. I lived by the PRR tracks and remember the hump yard and all that went with living next to trains every day....

Bob Kale