Monday, May 14, 2012

Irv's Golf Range located at approximately West 70th Street and South Cicero Avenue. ( Gone.) Bedford Park Illinois. July 1986.

I took this photograph way back in July of 1986.

One of My happiest memories of growing up on the southwest side of Chicago, were My precious visits to a place known as Irv's Golf Range in southwest suburban Bedford Park Illinois.

Irv's Golf Range was located along the west side of South Cicero Avenue at approximately West 70th Street, immediately adjacent to the south side of the Belt Railway of Chicago Clearing Yard facility at the South Cicero Avenue overpass bridge.

I visited Irv's quiete a bit with family and later friends from approximately 1973, until the place had closed in 1991.

This view is facing south, and shows several patrons enjoying a fun and relaxing round of hitting a bucket of golf balls on the driving range. Irv's also featured a miniature golf course, batting cages, and a small pinball and video arcade.

During the 1980's, I would often walk north from the nearby Ford City Shopping Center approximately one half mile south of here, stop and hit a bucket of golf balls, take a few swings in the batting cages, and then take the CTA bus home after it all.

Coming here on Summer evenings with My family was great anytime.

Today, this is the site of a Walmart store.

Many happy memories here back in the day. I miss this place, and was glad that I was able to enjoy and experience it while it lasted.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: