Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Nicky's Carry Outs at the intersection of West 35th Street and South Western Boulevard. Chicago Illinois USA. October 2008.

Nicky's Carry Outs at the intersection of west 35th Street and South western Boulevard. Chicago Illinois. October 2008.

Hi everyone!
Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page.
I grew up on the southside of the city of Chicago Illinois, and the one thing they never seem to have an endless supply of on the southside....are these tasty and inexpensive neighborhood fast food eateries.

When You'r taste buds just arn't in the mood for the usual Burger King, Mc Donald's
Wendy's, KFC or other fast food corporate giant restaurants...It is great just knowing that You can have a hot and delicious ( If not greasy.) made to order Hamburger, Grecian Gyros sandwich,Hot Dogs, Pizza Puff, or even a Polish or Italian Sausage with french fries made to order not far from home. Little neighborhood take out restaurants like this one, are a neighborhood institution on the southside of Chicago. They have a certain local neighborhood charm, charisma and style all of their own.

I took this photo at the southeast corner of West 35th Street and South Western Boulevard, in Chicago's Mc Kinley Park neighborhood. Sometimes it's just fun to go to places like this for a bite to eat after work, and chat with the local neighborhood patrons.

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Eddie....that is one of the things I miss about Chicago...places like this. In Cincinnati we really do not have anything close to it.

We do have one place that sells Vienna beef products (person is from Chicago) but it is quite expensive.

But the first thing I do before seeing any family when visiting Chicago, is stop by a hot dog joint and get a hot dog and a beef (dipped) and I would prefer the drink to be RC.

Ahhh Chicago, and these little places....I have seen this place before and never stopped in...I think I will stop in next time I'm up there. Thanks for the photo Eddie (it is late, now I'm hungry...but all I can settle for is White Castle or McDonalds)

Dennis Madia

Eddie said...

Hi Dennis!
Ha Ha Ha! Yeah...You are right about this one buddy. When I went on a business trip to Louisville Kentucky with a former company I worked at back in 2002....All they seemed to have eating wise was fast food giants like KFC or Burger King. It seemed like Louisville people mostly went out for Chicken or Fish.

The Holiday Inn Express motel I stayed at, was along a frontage road near the highway cloverleaf.
I found that the best places to eat in town ( At least for Myself.)
were the many roadside truck stop diners down the road from My motel.
The breakfast entrees and deserts were absolutely dynamite! MMMMM!

Being from Chicago though...I missed My dipped Italina Beef and Sausage sandwiches, Gyros, Pizza Puffs, Chilli, Authentic Mexican Tacos and Eli's Cheesecake.

Drop Me a line if You ever visit the windy city buddy.

Thanks.
Eddie K.