Friday, June 08, 2012

1973 era Illinois Central Gulf Railroad caboose hop.

I photographed this image recently, at the Oak Park Society of Model Engineers, H.O  Scale Model Railroad Club.

I grew up on the near southwest side of Chicago during the 1960's, 70's and 80's.
One of the things I remember from My own childhood, were the early days of the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad.

The ICG was created from the August 10th, 1972 merger of the Illinois Central, and the Gulf, mobile & Ohio railroads, wich operated about a mile south of My old neighborhood.

Seen here are My old Life Like Proto 2000 EMD SW 9 Yard Switcher locomotive, wearing the pre 1967 Illinois Central black and white color scheme with the green diamond logo.

Coupled behind the locomotive, is a Centrailia Car Shops model of an Illinois Central side door caboose, wearing the post 1972 Illinois Central Gulf markings.

Caboose hops like this in a variety of color schemes, were a very common sight on the southwest side of Chicago during the early 1970's. Former I.C and G,M & O locomotives and cabooses, were sometimes mixed and matched on the early ICG freight trains.

Last week, I finally converted My Illinois Central EMD SW9 to Digital Comand Control, and now it runs great on the club layout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

simply dropping by to say hello