Sunday, May 04, 2008

Forgotten Illinois Central caboose converted into a hot dog stand. (Gone.) Hickory Hills Illinois USA. August 1988.

I took this photo in August of 1988 at the intersection of West 95th Street and South Kean Avenue, in southwest suburban Hickory Hills Ilinois. In the days before widespread real estate development and construction of several luxery condominium apartment complexes in this area, this caboose formerly of the Illinois Central Railroad, served hot dogs, ice cream and other refreshments at this miniature golf course. This miniature golf course was located on the north east corner of west 95th Street and South Kean Avenue near several horseback riding barns.

This old photo had resurfaced recently in My collection, and I can't remember the name of this Mom and Pop owned family miniature golf course that used to exist in Hickory Hills. If anybody has any information on this, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

4 comments:

smkctk said...

It was called Kahuna Junction and was owned by the former Hickory Hills mayor Ray Kay. It didn't last very long, partly because it was way on the west side of town. I remember playing there about 20 years ago.

Eddie said...

Hi Steve!
Thank You for that all too important piece of information on the Kahuna Junction miniature golf place. I had actually forgotten the name of this place after it went out of business. This is now a forgotten piece of Hickory Hills Illinois. Real Estate development replaced this and several other parts of a once rural area of South Suburban Cook County.

I could remember how Hickory Hills had many farms and picnic groves into the early 1970's.

Thank You.
Eddie K.

Anonymous said...

Kahuna Junction was doomed from the start.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh!! Do you have anotber photo of Kahuna Junction? I remember eating there. My cousin calls me Kahuna!! I love this photo!