Friday, March 05, 2010

Grand Trunk Western EMD model SW 1200 yard switcher # 1514 at Elsdon Yard. Chicago Illinois USA. 1977.

GTW SW 1200 # 1514 at GTW Elsdon Yard. Chicago Illinois. 1977

This photo comes to Eddie's Railfan Page via My links page Fallen Flags.Org to the right of Your computer screen.

This photo is very special to Me, as I have always enjoyed visiting the old GTW Elsdon Yard on Chicago's southwest side.

I discovered the old steam era Grand Trunk Western Elsdon Yard firsthand, when I was attending nearby Curie High School from 1977 to 1981. Yes, I was a teenage railfan.
It was always fun for Me to hang out and watch the show at Elsdon Yard back then.

The GTW unfortunately closed the old 14 track Elsdon Yard in October of 1983.
This 1977 vintage photo was taken just west of the old 1914 built roundhouse on South Kedzie Avenue at what would approximately be West 49th Street in Chicago's Elsdon neighborhood.

Who knows, I may have seen this engine at work here during My high school days.

No comments: