Monday, June 04, 2012

Chicago's Riverview Park. (Gone.) 1904-1967.

I found this photograph on the Chicago Tribune Newspapers website www.chicagotribune.com

It is the Springtime of 1968, and this otherwise beautiful and sunny day...has been marred by the sight of Chicago's Riverview Park being demolished.

The famous Pair O Chutes Tower ride, is viewed about to crash to the ground in a moment.

Riverview Park was a huge 74 acre amusement park on the northside of Chicago, and many happy fun filled memories were made here from 1904 to 1967.

Although Riverview was originally advertised on an adjacent billboard along North Western Avenue to open in 1968, the park was sold during the Autum of 1967, and was demolished during the Winter and Spring of 1968.

Today, the old Riverview Park amusement park site, is the large Riverview Plaza Shopping Center Mall.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember When I saw that picture in the newspaper. I was 5 years old at that time and I was devastated! That was the one ride I always wanted to go on but was to young to get on. I used to live at 3133 N Washtinaw which was right across the river. My sister and I used to be able to see the pair-o-chutes from our first floor bedroom window. After my mom and dad put us to bed, we would sneak to the window and watch the lighted pair-o-chutes rise up to the top and then gently fall back to the ground. I still remember the screams from the people when the chutes were released. My mom used to walk us through Riverview some days. I don't remember more than a few rides but the Pair-o-chutes was definitely one of them! Thanks for the picture!