Monday, June 28, 2010

The Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe / I.N Local at work. Chicago Illinois USA. Circa June 1984.

The Santa Fe  I.N branchline local . Chicago Illinois. 1984.

I recently found this old photo I had taken during My early railfan photography days way back in June of 1984.

I took this photo back when I was still living in My old neighborhood on the near southwest side of Chicago. From Monday thru Friday, the A,T & S,F served the industries on a six mile branchline that passed through Chicago's Little Village neighborhood. This rail line was originally known as The Illinois Northern Railroad. It was partly owned by the International Harvester Corporation, and was a subsidiary of the Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.

The I.N Branchline Local began it's morning run around 9:45 AM from the A,T & S,F Corwith Yard, and would travel approximately 6 miles northeast to the Burlington Northern interchange at the elevated junction located at South Western and Blue Island Avenues near Chicago's pilsen neighborhood. The local would return to Corwith Yard around 3:20 PM daily. There was also a passing run around siding located on West 26th Street along the tall north walls of Chicago's infamous Cook County Jail complex.

The local with a light engine at the moment, was photographed east of South Kedzie Avenue at approximately West 28th Street in Chicago's Little Village neighborhood.

No comments: