Friday, January 08, 2010

Grand Trunk Western EMD model SW 1200 switcher at Elsdon Yard. Chicago Illinois USA. 1981.

GTW EMD SW 1200 # 1515 at the GTW Elsdon Yard. Chicago Illinois. 1981.

I didn't take this photo Myself, but some nice individual at the Grand Trunk Western Historical Society did back in 1981, at the now long abandoned GTW Elsdon Yard site.

Elsdon Yard was indeed one of My all time personal favorite railfan locations on the southwest side of Chicago. I attended nearby Curie High School from 1977 to 1981, and discovered Elsdon Yard while I attending school there. I used to hang out here a lot back in those days.

It looks like this photo was taken just west of the locomotive terminal near approximately West 49th Street and South Kedzie Avenue. Just east of here on South Kedzie Avenue, was the 1914 built steam era roundhouse.

Elsdon Yard and the locomotive terminal were closed in October of 1983.
Today this is the site of a retail strip mall.

No comments: