Thursday, December 08, 2011




















After Chicago's Riverview Amusement Park closed in 1967, many former Riverview patrons began going to the Adventureland Amusement Park in northwest suburban Addison Illinois.

Adventureland was a tiny amusement park, located on a 24 acre parcel of land at the intersection of Illinois U.S Rt # 20 / Lake Street, and Medinah Road.

Originally a privately owned picnic grove known as Pauls Grove since the 1920's, it was sold in 1958, and operated as the very kid friendly Storybook Park Amusement Park from 1958 until 1961.

Adventureland opened here in 1961, and closed after the 1977 season.
During the 1960's, famous local Chicago rock and roll music bands like The Cryin Shames would sometimes play here on the weekends.

When the new mega large theme park originally known as Mariott's Great America opened in 1976 at nearby Gurnee Illinois, the end was near for the tiny Adventureland Amusement Park. Not being able to compete with Great America, the park closed after the 1977 season.

This photo I found on the internet, shows the park's Merry Go Round ride at night.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Dave W. said...

I was 5 when Adventureland closed, my parents took me there (although I don't remember it.) I was also a caddie next door at Medinah Country Club from 1988 to 1990 and would ride my bike to work early in the morning. I remember one day before work started, I climbed the fence into the ruins of Adventureland. There wasn't much left besides a few faded fairy tale houses, mushrooms, etc. Some of the pathways were still there although broken and overgrown. There were even portions of the kiddie railway still in place. The whole abadoned place just made me wish it were still around for my kids! Thanks for posting this!